Monday, July 11, 2016

The Look

Out running errands with my toddler in tow, I often find myself giving other parents The Look.



Sometimes this look is reciprocated, and it makes me feel connected to them, like we are all part of the Borg or something - thinking with a shared brain going through the same motions and experiencing the same thing.

There are other times I give the The Look, and I feel like I might have done something wrong. Like I'm a bad parent or I offended the other parent or embarrassed them. This is never the intention of The Look.

I think, mostly, I give The Look because of a need for connection. But it's meaning is constantly changing.

At first with a newborn The Look meant "OHMYFUCKINGGOD what have we got ourselves into?!" It was a much more desperate look.


As my child got out of the newborn phase The Look began to mean "HI-HI-HI you look so fun can we pleaseeee be friends I need adult interaction soooooo bad!"

Currently The Look means "I feel ya. Solidarity, sister/brother." This is usually given when I stumble upon a oh so relate-able temper tantrum in a public place.

I'm sure The Look will keep evolving as children grow and their needs and demands change.

Please know if you are ever the recipient of The Look, it's never mean to be judgmental. It's me trying to let you know that even though I don't know you, I understand. And we are going to get through this together.

What does your Look mean? Tell me in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment