Monday, November 30, 2015

The Best and Easiest Protein Pancakes for Babies

Ever since my son started eating solids, getting him to eat protein has been a struggle. I think partly because like many babies he's been slow to get teeth, which makes eating meat a challenge, but also because he just seems to prefer anything sweet over savory.

I mentioned this problem to my sister, and she passed me on a recipe for protein pancakes that are a staple in her house. I consider myself a pretty good baker, but these protein pancakes took a few tries before they really worked (I blame mom brain because they are ridiculously easy). The funny thing is, no mater how mangled they looked, my baby devoured them. Even today when I was making them he ate a pancake and a half, and this was after finishing his dinner!

Yummy Easy Protein Pancakes for my baby belly



One trick that is a *must* when cooking these protein pancakes for your baby is to make sure the heat is on low/medium as they can burn easily, so don't rush things. Also, they are quite thick so make them smaller than a regular pancake, and use a bit of coconut oil to grease the pan.

Another great thing about these protein pancakes is they freeze well. I portion them out into single servings and freeze them in ziplock bags, then pull one out and throw it onto my diaper bag when I'm leaving the house. By the time the boy is hungry they are defrosted and ready to eat. How easy is that!?



Hopefully these easy protein pancakes end up being as great of a snack and protein supplement in your house as it is in mine and my sister's!


Ingredients:
1 Banana
1 Cup Oats
1 Cup Cottage Cheese (get one with a higher fat content)
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 Cup Ground Flax
2 Large Eggs
1/4 - 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (depending on your baby's taste. Mine loves it.)
1 Tbsp Agave (or honey if they are over 1 year)

Method:
Mix all ingredients together in a blender, stirring (with power off) between blends until smooth.
Heat pan to low/Medium.
Add 1 tsp coconut oil to pan.
Add 1/4 cup portions of batter to pan once oil is melted.
Cook until you see golden brown edges, then flip pancakes and cook for 2-4 more minutes.

Once pancakes are done, remove from pan, and let cool before refrigerating or freezing. Protein pancakes may seem a bit soft in the middle when removing from pan, but will continue to cook from residual heat.

Serve immediately, cold, heat in microwave, or, my sister likes to serve hot and spread them with applesauce.

Don't be afraid to double the recipe -- You will be thankful you did!




No comments:

Post a Comment